The mission of the Association is to preserve, honor and convey the camaraderie, commitment, accomplishments and traditions of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (WWII) and its successor units. These include the 506th Infantry (Basic Training), the 1st Airborne Battle Group 506th Infantry; the 506th Infantry (Airborne); the 506th Infantry (Airmobile); the 506th Infantry (Air Assault); and the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 506th Infantry Regiment (Currahee) and of all those served in it.
We do this by:
We welcome all Currahees who have served in the Regiment from activation in 1942 to the present and into the future.
We believe that each 506th Veteran has the right to participate equally with all other Currahees in Association activities. The Association prohibits any form of discrimination.
John O. Lally - Chairman of the Board of Directors
Michael J. Metzger - President
Vacant - Treasurer
John J. Johnson - Secretary
Board of Directors:
- John O. Lally - Chairman of the Board of Directors / Editorial Committee Chair / Media and Advertising Committee Chairman / Scholarship Committee
- Michael J. Metzger - President / Widows, Orphans and Wounded Soldiers Committee / Hospital Visitation Team / Editorial Committee
- Vacant - Treasurer
- John J. Johnson - Secretary / Nominating Committee Chairman
- Eugene L. Overton, Jr. - Membership Director / Scholarship Committee / Reunion Committee / Active-Duty Liaison / Editorial Committee
- Alfred M. May - Charitable Funds Chairman / Active-Duty Liaison / Reunion Committee / Editorial Committee
- Ronald L. Helwig - Quartermaster
- MAJ(R) John Thomas Duckett, III - Reunion Committee Chairman
- Christopher D. Garrett - Reunion Committee
- Joseph E. Huesing - 1st Battalion Newsletter Reporter
- Dave J. Sas - History Committee Chairman
The Officers and Board of Directors [1-page Adobe PDF file]were elected at the bi-annual general membership meeting at Columbus, GA, on May 5, 2012. The term of office is two years, which is the time until the next reunion in 2014.However in April 2013 COL(R) Bob Seitz resigned his Presidency which was then filled by Michael Metzger, and the Board of Directors appointing John (Joe) Johnson as Secretary until the next election of Officers and Board of Directors in 2014.
Other Key Personnel:
- Michael C. Bookser - Webmaster
- Pastor David A. Canter, Sr. - Currahee Chaplain
Bylaws were adopted by Association members in April 2000, and the Association was incorporated in the State of California in September 2000, being subsequently granted tax-exempt status, both as a Section 23701W veterans organization from the State of California in February 2001 and as a non-profit organization under Internal Revenue Section 501(a) in May 2001. In addition, the Internal Revenue Service recognized the Association as a Section 501(c)(19) War Veterans organization, so donors making contributions to the Association can deduct such donations on their personal or corporate tax filings, as provided for by IRS rules and regulations. The Association is listed in IRS Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations described in Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, the list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. For exemption/deduction purposes, the Association Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 91-2088108.
Bylaws (as amended August 16, 2002 and May 19, 2006)
506th Association History