|The only original Camp Toccoa building still standing
today is the Mess Hall.
(L-R): Hoyt Bruce Moore, III (A Co, 1st BN, 1970-1971); Lamar Davis (Stephens
County Historical Society); and Frank Hamel (REGT HQ, 506th PIR, 1942-1943).
|Aerial overview of Camp Toccoa, 1942: the single
red arrow points to the Mess
Hall; the double arrows point to the intersection in the June 2000 photo below.
|Original Camp Toccoa roads, indicated by the
double arrows in the previous aerial photo.
The structures in these two photos were not part of the original training camp.
|To reach the old Camp Toccoa site from the town of Toccoa, GA, take Highway 123 South about four miles to Jeanette Jamison Intersection, which is the intersection of Highway 123 with Highways 17 and 365. At this intersection, do not turn right on Highway 123; instead, go straight across onto Highway 184. After about 500 yards, Highway 184 turns left, but, once again, stay straight, driving onto Dick's Hill Parkway (known locally as Old Highway 123). Travel about two miles to get to the COL Robert F. Sink Memorial Trail roadside marker at the bottom of the road that leads to the top of the mountain. Driving another 200 yards will bring you to the Airborne Memorial Monument just outside the old main gate to Camp Toccoa.|