D Company, 2nd BN, 506th PIR
1944-1945



photo from Bill Riley, friend of the son of
PFC Gilbert Van Every (D Co, 2nd BN, 506th PIR, 1942-1945; awarded DSC for Bastogne)
Old Refectory

May 1944: nine members of D Company, 2nd BN, 506th PIR
standing near the Old Refectory at Aldbourne, England

After arriving in England in September 1943, the entire 2nd Battalion (HQ, D, E, and F Companies)
and A and B Companies of the 1st Battalion were sent to the village of Aldbourne.

The entire 3rd Battalion (HQ, G, H and I Companies) and C Company from the 1st Battalion were
sent to Ramsbury.

The 506th PIR requisitioned Littlecote House (between Hungerford and Ramsbury) for office space
and sleeping quarters for the officers of REGT HQ and HQ, 1st BN. Those who were not officers
lived in Nissen huts erected along the main drive between the manor house and an east lodge.




Back of Photo

Back of photo written by Gilbert Van Every (names begin with the back row)

Gilbert Van Every carried the Light Machine Gun for his squad. He earned
3 Purple Hearts and 3 Bronze Stars and also was awarded the Distinguished
Service Cross
for his actions at Bastogne.

Frederick Linacre, John Sherbon, and Jack E. Mattz were Pathfinders on D-Day.



photos from Deb Yturralde, niece of CPL Jack E. Mattz
(D Co, 2nd BN, 506th PIR, KIA 09/23/44, Holland)

Vetta and Mattz

(L-R): T/5 Steve R. Vetta and CPL Jack E. Mattz
at the Clemson, South Carolina Rifle Range



CPL Mattz



Jack Mattz



photos from Curtis P. Smith [(Medic) A Co, 1st BN; D Co, 2nd BN, 506th PIR, 1944-1945]
via Dan Potter [son of PVT George L. Potter, Jr., (E Co, 2nd BN, 506th PIR, Feb 43-Nov 45)]

England, 1944

T/5 Curtis P. Smith, Medic for A Co, 1st BN and D Co, 2nd BN



Austria, 1945

Curtis P. Smith, Austria, 1945



These pages are maintained the
506th Airborne Infantry Regiment Association (Airmobile - Air Assault)
This page updated 04/06/13