Reassembled Aldbourne Stable
Currahee Military Museum
Toccoa, GA - October 2005


After arriving in England in September 1943, the entire 2nd Battalion (HQ, D, E, and F Companies) and A and B Companies of the 1st Battalion, 506th PIR were sent to the village of Aldbourne, England.

The Save the Stables Project was a non-profit fundraising effort intended to raise $75,000 dollars to disassemble one of the Aldbourne Stables that were the home to these 506th paratroopers during the months prior to the invasion of Europe and after the Normandy Campaign. The stable was taken down and transported to Toccoa, GA, where it was reassembled inside the 6,000 sq. ft. Currahee Military Museum, which is housed in the restored Toccoa train depot, the debarkation point for most of those men who trained at Toccoa.

photos from Joe Rice
Reassembled Stable
One of the 80-year-old stables, constructed with timber walls and a corrugated iron roof,
where members of the 506th PIR were billeted during the months prior to the invasion of
Europe and after the Normandy Campaign.



Reassembled Stable

The stable is now located in the 6000 sq ft Currahee Military Museum



Stable Bay
Inside one of the bays of the stable



Stable Bay

Four soldiers lived in each bay of the stable; with its six bays, this stable housed 24 men.




Stable Vent System
Stable Vent System




Webster Article

This museum display is of an unpublished article by David
Kenyon Webster (E/F Co, 2nd BN, 506th PIR, 1942-1945;
author of Parachute Infantry),
giving his impressions of living
in this stable.


These pages are maintained the
506th Airborne Infantry Regiment Association (Airmobile - Air Assault)
This page updated 04/06/13